Scholarships For Nigerian Students in USA
Welcome to GlobalAlat, the platform of latest news, updates and gist. Nigerians can now gain scholarships to study in USA.
There are so many universities in USA giving full and partial scholarships to Nigerian students and international students.
I will be listing as many USA Scholarships as possible for you. This is an ample to check them out and apply for Scholarships for Spring 2024 and Fall 2024.
Types of Scholarships in the USA for Nigerian Students
- Government-funded Scholarships: The US government sponsors scholarships that primarily focus on promoting international relations.
- Non-government Scholarships: Private organizations or benefactors fund scholarships aiming to promote higher education in the USA.
- University-funded Scholarships: Many US universities also offer scholarships based on merit, talent, and/or their own specific criteria. Read on for a broader category of scholarships available based on such criteria.
- Scholarships for Certain Specializations: There are US scholarships tailored to specific fields of study in the USA. Whether you are studying business, healthcare, or any other subject, there are scholarships for international students like you.
- Scholarships for Student Disabilities: These scholarships are available to students with different types of disabilities that vary in criteria.
- Scholarships for Existing College Students: University scholarships are not just for new students. If you are already in college, you can find scholarships to support your ongoing education.
Here are some scholarships which you can apply :
1. The United Negro College Fund: Since its establishment, UNCF has assisted over 500,000 students in obtaining their college degrees. UNCF holds the distinction of being the biggest private scholarship provider for minority group members in the nation. Every year, it gives out scholarships worth over $100 million to students studying at more than 1,000 schools, including 37 historically black colleges and universities.
2. The Fulbright Foreign Student Program: The program allows young professionals, artists, and graduate students from other countries to do research and study in the USA. It operates in over 160 countries worldwide, including Nigeria, and around 4,000 international students get Fulbright scholarships every year. American embassies or Fulbright Commissions/Foundations manage the program. Eligibility requirements differ from one nation to another.
3. ICSP Scholarships at University of Oregon USA :
International students who demonstrate financial need and exceptional merit may apply for the International Cultural Service Program (ICSP). The ICSP scholarship has a cultural service component which requires students to give presentations about their home country to children, community organizations, and UO students, faculty and staff.
Deadline: 15 Jan/16 Feb 2024 (annual)
Study in: USA
Course starts Fall 2024
International students who demonstrate financial need and exceptional merit
Partial tuition-waiver scholarship. The ICSP scholarship is renewable each year to completion of a UO degree, provided the student follows the requirements of the ICSP program
- Applicants must be admissible or fully admitted to the University of Oregon. New students must apply for admission to the UO for Fall 2024 by 15 January 2024.
- Applicants cannot be U.S. citizens, U.S. permanent residents, or eligible to receive U.S. federal financial assistance.
- Applicants must demonstrate financial need and meet the minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA requirement.
ICSP students agree to complete 66-80 hours per year of cultural service as required by the program.
Click here to apply for Admission to the University of Oregon before you can apply for scholarship.
4. American University Emerging Global Leader Scholarship
The AU Emerging Global Leader Scholarship is targeted to high-achieving international students who wish to pursue a Bachelor’s Degree in the US and who are dedicated to positive civic and social change. It is intended for students who will be to returning home to improve under-resourced, underserved communities in his/her home country.
Level/Field(s) of study:
Any undergraduate study offered at the University
Number of Scholarships:
One (1) scholarship is available
The scholarships are targeted to international students from any country who are not U.S. citizens, U.S. permanent residents, or dual citizens of the U.S. and another country.
The AU EGL scholarship covers all billable AU expenses (full tuition, room and board). The scholarship does not cover non-billable expenses such as mandatory health insurance, books, airline tickets and miscellaneous expenses (approximately U.S. $4,000).
It is renewable for a total of four years of undergraduate study, based on continued satisfactory academic performance.
Preference will be given to:
- International students who have overcome various obstacles and challenges as well as those from diverse and underrepresented global and socioeconomic backgrounds.
- A minimum 3.8 GPA equivalent (or in the top 10% of graduating class) for 9th-12th grades.
- A demonstrated commitment to leadership, volunteerism, community service and to advancing the needs of people in their home country.
- Students with one of the following: 95+ TOEFL iBT (all subscores must be 20 or above); sub-scores of 24+ on the paper-based TOEFL (Taken after May 31, 2017); 7.0+ IELTS (all subscores must be 6.0 or above); 33 minimum SAT Reading Subscore; 29 minimum ACT English; 65 minimum PTE; 120+ Duolingo (all subscores must be 110 or above); or Cambridge Assessment English score of 185 or higher. Each sub-score must be 169 or higher.
- Students who are still enrolled in secondary/high school and graduating by June 2024.
- Important: Students in the IB system should plan to graduate with a full IB diploma with at lease 3 HL subjects. Students studying in the British A-Levels system must complete at least 3 A levels and finish 13 years of study before August 2024.
To apply to the AU Emerging Global Leader Scholarship, you must apply and complete the AU EGLS application, Common or Coalition Application, and international admissions process by 15 December 2023 (priority deadline) or by 15 January 2024 at the latest. AU EGLS applicants must apply Regular Decision for fall (August) 2023. Do not apply Early Decision (ED).
It is important to visit the official website (link found below) to access the application form and for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.
Official Scholarship Website: http://www.american.edu/admissions/international/egls.cfm
5. MasterCard/University of California 2023/2024 Masters Scholarships for African Students – USA
The MasterCard University of California, Berkeley Masters Scholarships 2023/2024 for African Students will provide holistic support – financial, academic, social, and career counselling – to Masters students from Sub-Saharan Africa from 2020 to 2028.
Administered out of the Center for African Studies, the program at the University of California, Berkeley is supported by a broad cross-section of functional and disciplinary units on campus including the Division of Student Affairs, the Graduate Division, the Berkeley International Office, and the International House.
Aim and Benefits of MasterCard/University of California Masters Scholarships
- Scholarship is fully-funded scholarship
Requirements for MasterCard/University of California Masters Scholarships
The five main eligibility criteria are:
- Being a citizen of a Sub-Saharan African country – If you have refugee status, are stateless, or have other questions regarding your citizenship, you may still be eligible. Please contact us directly to clarify. This scholarship is not intended for citizens of North African countries.
- Excelling academically – All prospective Scholars must first be admitted to UC Berkeley to be considered for the Scholarship. An important criteria for admission to the University is demonstrated academic excellence.
- Coming from an economically disadvantaged background – We aim to admit those from the bottom two income quintiles per country. This Scholarship is designed for those extremely talented individuals who have no other means of acquiring the further education required to help realize their dreams and ambitions.
- Having demonstrated the will to give back to your community, country, or continent – We are looking for well-rounded students who are engaged in activities beyond the classroom. Some may be directly related to your field of study, but this may also include other issues (social, economic, political) that you are working on and passionate about. Applicants should elaborate on their achievements both in their application to UC Berkeley, and then later on the Scholarship application.
- Having expressed the desire and intention to return to your home country after completing your studies – We are looking for students who are engaged with and passionate about issues affecting their communities, and who will take advantage of their education at UC Berkeley to better equip themselves with the knowledge and training to address these issues upon return. While important work can be done from abroad, the intention of this Program is to enable Scholars to return home, after forming valuable professional connections through internship and job placements.
How to Apply For MasterCard scholarships ?
To be considered for the MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program, Graduate degree seekers must first be admitted to the university through the regular admissions process before they will be considered for the MasterCard Foundation Scholarship Program.
For more details,visit MasterCard Foundation website
6. Kent State University Global Scholarships 2024 in USA (Funded)
Applications are invited to apply for Kent State University Global Scholarship 2023 in United States. All International Students from all over the world are eligible to apply for Kent State University Scholarship. Having a dream of studying in the United States? The Office of Global Education at Kent State University is seeking a greater number of high-quality international students for its Global Scholarship. The program is available to all incoming international undergraduate degree seeking students who have been admitted to Kent State campus.
Financial Benefits of Global Scholarship at Kent State University:
The Global Award provides eligible students with $4,000 per year ($2,000 per semester), reducing the cost of a Kent State 4-year undergraduate degree by up to $16,000.
Eligibility Criteria of Kent State University Scholarship:
- Eligible Countries: Applications will be accepted from around the world.
- Acceptable Course or Subjects: Undergraduate course in any subject at the KSU
- Admissible Criteria: Student qualifies as an incoming international student who intends to pursue an undergraduate degree and will enroll full time at Kent State. Graduate, exchange, visiting, ESL or current students and in-state resident students are not eligible to apply.
There are three intakes every year to apply for Kent State University Scholarship 2023 in USA for International Students. Must be admitted by July 1st for Fall semester, November 1st for Spring semester and March 1st for Summer semester.
How to Apply for Kent State University Global Scholarships:
- How to Apply: Students will be automatically considered for the program upon admission to the university.
- Supporting Documents: Must provide proof of English language proficiency, transcripts, a letter of reference, and financial documentation.
- Admission Requirements: Applicants must have a cumulative grade point average, ACT and/or SAT scores, Strength of high school college preparatory curriculum, and Grade trends.
- Language Requirement: All applicants must obtain TOEFL, IELTS, PTE Academic score, MELAB or Completing the ELS level 112 Intensive English Program or SAT/ACT.